Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-017-2525-3
Title: Assessing changes in knowledge, attitude and practices on dengue diagnosis and management among primary care physicians after the largest dengue epidemic in Singapore
Authors: Pang J. 
Hildon Z.J.-L. 
Thein T.L.
Jin J. 
Leo Y.S. 
Keywords: diagnostic kit
adult
attitude to health
dengue
diagnostic kit
epidemic
female
general practitioner
health survey
human
male
middle aged
odds ratio
patient referral
point of care system
Singapore
statistical model
statistics and numerical data
Adult
Dengue
Epidemics
Female
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Health Surveys
Humans
Logistic Models
Male
Middle Aged
Odds Ratio
Physicians, Primary Care
Point-of-Care Systems
Reagent Kits, Diagnostic
Referral and Consultation
Singapore
Issue Date: 2017
Publisher: BioMed Central Ltd.
Citation: Pang J., Hildon Z.J.-L., Thein T.L., Jin J., Leo Y.S. (2017). Assessing changes in knowledge, attitude and practices on dengue diagnosis and management among primary care physicians after the largest dengue epidemic in Singapore. BMC Infectious Diseases 17 (1) : 428. ScholarBank@NUS Repository. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-017-2525-3
Abstract: Background: Dengue results in high morbidity and mortality globally. The knowledge, attitude and practices (KAP) of dengue management, including diagnosis, among primary care physicians (PCPs) are important to reduce dengue transmission and burden. However, there is a lack of understanding on the impact of dengue epidemic on dengue management. Hence, the aim of this study is to examine the changes in KAP on dengue management among PCPs before and after the largest dengue epidemic in 2013 in Singapore. Methods: Surveys were mailed to 2000 and 1514 PCPs registered under the Singapore Medical Council in March of year 2011 and 2014, respectively. Survey data were then collected between April and June of that year. Chi-square or Fisher's exact test was used for comparing categorical variables. A multivariate logistic regression model was implemented to determine independent factors for frequent use of dengue diagnostic tests (DDTs). All tests were conducted at 5% level of significance. Adjusted odds ratio and corresponding 95% confidence intervals were reported, where applicable. Qualitative data were descriptively coded for themes and analysis. Results: Among PCPs surveyed in 2011 and 2014, 89.9% and 86% had good knowledge on dengue management respectively. The usage of DDTs had increased significantly in 2014 (N = 164;56%) as compared to 2011 (N = 107;29. 5%) in both private and public clinics (p < 0.001). Dengue Duo point-of-care test (POCT) kits was independently associated with frequent use of DDTs (adjusted odds ratio = 2.15; 95% confidence interval = 1.25-3.69). There was a significant reduction in referral of dengue patients to hospital (31.4% in 2011; 13.3% in 2014; p < 0.001), and a significant increase in frequency of clinic follow-ups (18.4% in 2011; 28.5% in 2014; p = 0.003). One key theme highlighted was that dengue management can be improved with availability of POCT kit, better awareness of the disease and any revised clinical guidelines. Conclusion: The knowledge on dengue management remained high, while the attitude and practices, particularly on the usage of DDTs improved significantly after a large epidemic. Furthermore, PCPs had more confident in managing dengue patients in primary care settings and in educating patients on the importance of vector control and dengue warning signs to reduce dengue transmission and burden. © The Author(s). 2017.
Source Title: BMC Infectious Diseases
URI: https://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/173876
ISSN: 14712334
DOI: 10.1186/s12879-017-2525-3
Appears in Collections:Elements
Staff Publications

Show full item record
Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormatAccess SettingsVersion 
10_1186_s12879-017-2525-3.pdf419.7 kBAdobe PDF

OPEN

NoneView/Download

SCOPUSTM   
Citations

8
checked on Apr 18, 2021

Page view(s)

55
checked on Apr 16, 2021

Google ScholarTM

Check

Altmetric


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.