Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Deregulated MIR335 that targets MAPK1 is implicated in poor outcome of paediatric acute lymphoblastic leukaemia
Authors: Yan, J. 
Jiang, N.
Huang, G. 
Tay, J.L.-S.
Lin, B.
Bi, C.
Koh, G.S.
Li, Z.
Tan, J.
Chung, T.-H. 
Lu, Y.
Ariffin, H.
Kham, S.K.Y.
Yeoh, A.E.J.
Chng, W.-J.
Keywords: Clinical outcome
Paediatric acute lymphoblastic leukaemia
Issue Date: Oct-2013
Citation: Yan, J., Jiang, N., Huang, G., Tay, J.L.-S., Lin, B., Bi, C., Koh, G.S., Li, Z., Tan, J., Chung, T.-H., Lu, Y., Ariffin, H., Kham, S.K.Y., Yeoh, A.E.J., Chng, W.-J. (2013-10). Deregulated MIR335 that targets MAPK1 is implicated in poor outcome of paediatric acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. British Journal of Haematology 163 (1) : 93-103. ScholarBank@NUS Repository.
Abstract: Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) is the most common paediatric malignancy. Although 90% of patients are now long-term survivors, the remaining 10% have poor outcome predominantly due to drug resistance. In this study, we carried out genome-wide microRNA (miRNA) microarray analysis on diagnostic bone marrow samples to determine miRNA expression profiles associated with poor outcome in ALL. A reduced expression of MIR335 was identified as the most significant miRNA abnormality associated with poor outcome. It is well known that glucocorticoid (GC) resistance is one of the major reasons contributing to poor outcome. We show that exogenous expression of MIR335 in ALL cells increases sensitization to prednisolone-mediated apoptosis. Moreover, we demonstrate that MAPK1 is a novel target of MIR335, and that MEK/ERK inhibitor treatment enhanced prednisolone-induced cell death through the activation of BIM (BCL2L11). These results provide a possible underlying molecular mechanism to explain the association between reduced MIR335 with poor clinical outcome, and suggest that approaches to re-introduce MIR335 expression or override MAPK1 activity may offer promising therapeutic strategies in the treatment of ALL. © 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Source Title: British Journal of Haematology
ISSN: 00071048
DOI: 10.1111/bjh.12489
Appears in Collections:Staff Publications

Show full item record
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.

Google ScholarTM



Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.