Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/46698
Title: Congenitally absent third molars in 12 to 16 year old Singaporean Chinese patients: A retrospective radiographic study
Authors: Mok, Y.Y. 
Ho, K.K. 
Keywords: Congenital absence
Prevalence
Wisdom teeth
Issue Date: 1996
Source: Mok, Y.Y.,Ho, K.K. (1996). Congenitally absent third molars in 12 to 16 year old Singaporean Chinese patients: A retrospective radiographic study. Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore 25 (6) : 828-830. ScholarBank@NUS Repository.
Abstract: Third molars have been associated with a host of pathologies and there are risks involved with their surgical removal. They also have the highest incidence of congenital absence of all the permanent teeth. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and distribution of congenitally missing third molars in local Chinese patients. The orthopantomographic radiographs of 786 Singaporean Chinese patients aged 12 to 16 years were examined. It was found that 562 (71.5%) of the children had all 4 third molars. Varying degrees of third molar agenesis were noted in the other 224 (28.5%) children. Of these, 43 (5.5%) showed total absence of third molars. There was no significant difference in agenesis between the right and left sides and no sexual predilection was noted. However, more third molars were missing from the maxilla compared to the mandible, the ratio being 3:2.
Source Title: Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore
URI: http://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/46698
ISSN: 03044602
Appears in Collections:Staff Publications

Show full item record
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.

Page view(s)

43
checked on Dec 8, 2017

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.