Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/131184
Title: Hepatocyte hepatitis B surface antigen expression in chronic hepatitis B virus carriers in Singapore: Correlation with viral replication and liver pathology
Authors: Wee, A.
Yap, I. 
Guan, R. 
Issue Date: 1991
Source: Wee, A., Yap, I., Guan, R. (1991). Hepatocyte hepatitis B surface antigen expression in chronic hepatitis B virus carriers in Singapore: Correlation with viral replication and liver pathology. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 6 (5) : 466-470. ScholarBank@NUS Repository.
Abstract: The hepatocyte hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) expression in 149 liver biopsies from 124 chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) carriers was correlated with serum HBV DNA status and histologic activity. Hepatocyte HBsAg was stained by the peroxidase-antiperoxidase method and serum HBV DNA was determined by dot blot hybridization. Sixty-five biopsies (44%) showed minimal changes (MC), 82 biopsies (55%) showed chronic liver disease (CLD) and 2 biopsies (1%) showed hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatocyte HBsAg was found in 144 biopsies (97%). It was present in the cytoplasm of 141 specimens (95%) and/or plasma membrane of 48 specimens (32%). Approximately half (45%) of the cytoplasmic HBsAg-positive biopsies showed discrete distribution, while the other half (55%) were grouped. Fifty-five per cent (77 of 141) of cytoplasmic HBsAg-positive biopsies had CLD, while 44% (62 of 141) showed MC. There was no relationship between the presence of cytoplasmic HBsAg or its topographic distribution with disease activity. Membrane HBsAg distribution was similar for both groups of patients (MC vs CLD: 25 of 65 (38%) vs 23 of 82 (28%); P = NS). Serum HBV DNA was detected in 98 patients (66%) and was seen mostly in association with CLD (CLD vs MC: 61% vs 39%, P < 0.001). It was also detected more often in the sera of patients with membrane HBsAg than in those with cytoplasmic HBsAg staining (41 of 48 (85%) vs 97 of 141 (67%); P < 0.02). However, discrete distribution of cytoplasmic HBsAg was associated with positive serum HBV DNA when compared with grouped distribution (52 of 63 (83%) vs 43 of 78 vs (55%); P < 0.005).
Source Title: Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
URI: http://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/131184
ISSN: 08159319
Appears in Collections:Staff Publications

Show full item record
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.

Page view(s)

5
checked on Jan 20, 2018

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.