Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/111921
Title: Human papillomavirus-16 and genital cancer: are tests for the viral gene expression in vitro indicators for risk factors in vivo?
Authors: Chan, W.K. 
Gloss, B. 
Bernard, H.U. 
Issue Date: Apr-1988
Citation: Chan, W.K.,Gloss, B.,Bernard, H.U. (1988-04). Human papillomavirus-16 and genital cancer: are tests for the viral gene expression in vitro indicators for risk factors in vivo?. Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore 17 (2) : 232-237. ScholarBank@NUS Repository.
Abstract: Human papillomaviruses are found in up to 90% of all cervical carcinomas and are considered to play a causal role in the etiology of this malignancy. The genome of human papillomaviruses consists of a single circular DNA molecule with a size of approximately 8000 basepairs. 90% of this genome encodes proteins involved in functions such as neoplastic transformation of the host cell or formation of the viral capsid. The remaining 10% of the genome, which is termed upstream regulatory region (URR), harbours elements to control expression of the viral genes. We have identified in the URR DNA elements that regulate viral gene expression in the presence of glucocorticoid hormones or tumour promoting substances. This was done by DNase I protection experiments and functional analysis of fusion genes. Our data predict that the transforming potential of the virus might be stimulated by certain steroid hormones, polypeptide hormones and tumour promoting chemicals.
Source Title: Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore
URI: http://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/111921
ISSN: 03044602
Appears in Collections:Staff Publications

Show full item record
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.

Page view(s)

44
checked on Oct 12, 2018

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.