Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|dc.title||Dental trauma management awareness of Singapore pre-school teachers|
|dc.identifier.citation||Sae-Lim, V., Lim, L.P. (2001). Dental trauma management awareness of Singapore pre-school teachers. Dental Traumatology 17 (2) : 71-76. ScholarBank@NUS Repository. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-9657.2001.017002071.x|
|dc.description.abstract||The purpose of this study was to assess the awareness of pre-school teachers concerning the management of traumatized teeth. A questionnaire survey of teachers' backgrounds, attitudes/ practices and knowledge was distributed to all teachers who attended a dental education program organized by the Singapore Dental Health Foundation. Of a total of 291 teachers surveyed, 29% had received tertiary education, while the rest (71%) had received secondary education. The mean teaching experience was 6.8±6.9 years. About a quarter had previous experience in handling dental trauma. Sixty-three percent admitted having no knowledge of dental trauma; 79% were unsatisfied with their level of knowledge in this area; 95% were keen to have further education in dental trauma; 65% thought dental trauma emergency should be dealt with as soon as possible. Concerning knowledge, during-office hour emergency services were more familiar (84%) than after-office hour emergency services (15%), as was the concept of management of avulsed teeth (71%) compared to that of fractured teeth (51%). Knowledge about optimal storage media for avulsed permanent teeth was especially poor - being as low as 15%. Using multiple logistic regression analysis, it was found that teaching experience significantly influenced the respondents' self-assessed knowledge and their level of satisfaction with their knowledge (P=0.012). Teachers with more teaching experience had better knowledge about the replantation of permanent teeth (P=0.003). It is recommended that public education targeted at teachers should be carried out to increase dental trauma management awareness. © Munksgaard, 2001.|
|Appears in Collections:||Staff Publications|
Show simple item record
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
checked on Oct 15, 2019
WEB OF SCIENCETM
checked on Oct 15, 2019
checked on Oct 12, 2019
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.