Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/222214
Title: CARBON EMISSIONS OF KHOO TECK PUAT HOSPITAL
Authors: HUAN CHIE SZE JACQUELINE
Keywords: Building
Project and Facilities Management
Kua Harn Wei
2011/2012 PFM
Carbon emission
Green mark
Hospital
Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
KTPH
Waste
Water
Issue Date: 8-Jun-2012
Citation: HUAN CHIE SZE JACQUELINE (2012-06-08). CARBON EMISSIONS OF KHOO TECK PUAT HOSPITAL. ScholarBank@NUS Repository.
Abstract: Since the late 1900s, there have been growing concerns over the contribution of Green House Gases (GHGs) to global warming and climate change. As building sector is the major contributor, global research in building carbon emissions has gained its popularity. Among the building types, healthcare sector is found to be contributing a significant amount of carbon emissions. Based on this track record, this study aims to calculate the carbon emissions of a local hospital in Singapore. Serving on a 24-hour operation and being the newest and first Green Mark Platinum awarded public hospital, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH), was chosen as the site of interest for carbon emission accounting. Based on the data from November 2010 to October 2011, two buildings activities, namely, waste disposal and water consumption, and two green initiatives, respectively, waste recycling and solar hot water system were shortlisted for carbon emission accounting. Using GHG protocol of World Resource Institute/World Business Council on Sustainable Development (WRI/WBCSD), Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) 2006 guidelines and Nett Carbon Emission Factor, this study revealed that KTPH has emitted 192,273.23 tCO2-e within one year since its official opening on 15 November 2010. Waste disposal activity accounts for the highest emission amount, which is 192,201.82 tCO2-e or 99.82% of the total carbon emission while water consumption only emits 71.41 tCO2-e or 0.04% of the total amount. This study also showed that the estimated maximum carbon savings from waste recycling and solar hot water system are 105.53 tCO2-e or 0.05% and 167.41 tCO2-e or 0.09% respectively. In view of these estimations, four recommendations were made, which, if implemented, could help further reduce the carbon emissions in KTPH as well as in Singapore.
URI: https://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/222214
Appears in Collections:Bachelor's Theses

Show full item record
Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormatAccess SettingsVersion 
Huan Chie Sze Jacqueline 2011-2012.pdf2.29 MBAdobe PDF

RESTRICTED

NoneLog In

Page view(s)

11
checked on Sep 22, 2022

Download(s)

4
checked on Sep 22, 2022

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.