Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13195-020-00699-y
Title: Trajectories of subjective cognitive decline, and the risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia
Authors: Liew, T.M. 
Keywords: Cohort study
Cox regression
Dementia
Mild cognitive impairment
Subjective cognitive complaints
Trajectory
Utility
Issue Date: 2020
Publisher: BioMed Central Ltd
Citation: Liew, T.M. (2020). Trajectories of subjective cognitive decline, and the risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia. Alzheimer's Research and Therapy 12 (1) : 135. ScholarBank@NUS Repository. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13195-020-00699-y
Rights: Attribution 4.0 International
Abstract: Background: In cognitively normal individuals, subjective cognitive decline (SCD) has been reported to predict MCI and dementia (MCI/dementia). However, prior studies mostly captured SCD at single time-points without considering the longitudinal course of SCD. This study examined whether the trajectories of SCD provide any added information—beyond one-time assessments of SCD—on the risk of MCI/dementia. Methods: This cohort study included 5661 participants from the Alzheimer’s Disease Centers across the USA, who were ? 50 years and had normal cognition in the first-four annual visits (year 1 to year 4). The participants were evaluated for SCD in the first-four annual visits (year 1 to year 4), and followed-up almost annually (year 4 up to year 14) for incident MCI/dementia. SCD trajectories (as identified from latent-class-growth-curve-analysis) were included in Cox regression to estimate their risks of MCI/dementia, with analyses further stratified by age (< 75 years versus ? 75 years; based on median-split). Results: Compared to those without SCD (in the first-four annual visits), Intermittent SCD (i.e., reported in 1–2 of the first-four annual visits) predicted a higher risk (HR 1.4) and Persistent SCD (i.e., reported in 3–4 of the first-four annual visits) predicted the highest risk (HR 2.2), with the results remaining significant even after adjusting for baseline SCD. Age-stratified analysis revealed that the risk associated with Intermittent SCD was only present in older individuals, while risk related to Persistent SCD was consistently present across the younger and older age groups. Age compounded the effects of the trajectories, whereby older individuals with Persistent SCD had > 75% probability of developing MCI/dementia by 10 years, in contrast to < 25% probability by 10 years in younger individuals with No SCD. Conclusions: The findings demonstrate the utility of SCD trajectories—especially when used in combination with age strata—in identifying high-risk populations for preventive interventions and trials. They also suggest a potential modification in the current SCD criteria, with the inclusion of “persistent SCD over several years” as a feature of SCD plus. © 2020, The Author(s).
Source Title: Alzheimer's Research and Therapy
URI: https://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/199307
ISSN: 17589193
DOI: 10.1186/s13195-020-00699-y
Rights: Attribution 4.0 International
Appears in Collections:Elements
Staff Publications

Show full item record
Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormatAccess SettingsVersion 
10_1186_s13195_020_00699_y.pdf917.1 kBAdobe PDF

OPEN

NoneView/Download

SCOPUSTM   
Citations

4
checked on Dec 5, 2021

Page view(s)

22
checked on Dec 9, 2021

Google ScholarTM

Check

Altmetric


This item is licensed under a Creative Commons License Creative Commons