Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/133879
DC FieldValue
dc.titleUpper gastrointestinal endoscopy in children.
dc.contributor.authorQuak, S.H.
dc.contributor.authorLam, S.K.
dc.contributor.authorLow, P.S.
dc.date.accessioned2016-12-20T08:41:04Z
dc.date.available2016-12-20T08:41:04Z
dc.date.issued1990-04
dc.identifier.citationQuak, S.H., Lam, S.K., Low, P.S. (1990-04). Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in children.. Singapore medical journal 31 (2) : 123-126. ScholarBank@NUS Repository.
dc.identifier.issn00375675
dc.identifier.urihttp://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/133879
dc.description.abstractThe purpose of this paper is to study the use of upper gastrointestinal (Gl) fiberoptic endoscopy in children. Two hundred consecutive patients referred to one of the authors were reviewed. The indications for performing upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in these 200 patients were: (1) recurrent abdominal pain (46.5%), (2) persistent vomiting (14.5%), (3) haematemesis (14.5%), (4) acute abdominal pain (13%) and (5) other indications such as foreign body removal, failure to thrive and unexplained chest pain (11.5%). The endoscopy was performed with the Olympus P3 or Olympus XP-10 gastroscopes. The sedation used was a combination of intravenous pethidine (2mg/kg) and diazepam (0.5 mg/kg). Among the patients with recurrent abdominal pain, upper Gl endoscopy showed duodenal ulcer in 7 patients (7.5%), duodenitis in 4 (4.3%), oesophagitis in 4 (4.3%) and gastric ulcer in 2 (2.2%). The rest of the patients were normal (81.7%). With regard to persistent vomiting, 37.9% of the patients showed gastroesophageal reflux and 6.9% had a hiatus hernia. Of 29 patients examined endoscopically for upper Gl bleeding, no focus of bleeding was identified in 27.6%. The remaining 72.4% were bleeding from acute gastric erosion (27.6%), oesophagitis (17.2%), oesophageal varices (13.8%), duodenal ulcer (10.3%) and Mallory-Weiss tear (3.5%). The Majority of the patients with acute abdominal pain were normal endoscopically (61.5%). The two common abnormal findings were acute gastritis (27.0%) and acute duodenitis (11.5%). No major complications were encountered during the procedure in these 200 patients. It was concluded that upper Gl endoscopy is useful for defining upper Gl mucosal pathology. The procedure can be performed safely in children under sedation.
dc.typeArticle
dc.contributor.departmentPAEDIATRICS
dc.description.sourcetitleSingapore medical journal
dc.description.volume31
dc.description.issue2
dc.description.page123-126
dc.identifier.isiutNOT_IN_WOS
Appears in Collections:Staff Publications

Show simple item record
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.

Page view(s)

125
checked on May 22, 2019

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.