Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2004.08.003
Title: ω-3 fatty acids and selenium as coronary heart disease risk modifying factors in Asian Indian and Chinese males
Authors: Manav, M.
Su, J.
Hughes, K. 
Lee, H.P. 
Ong, C.N. 
Keywords: Asian Indians
Chinese
Coronary heart disease
Docosahexanoic acid
Fatty acids
Fish intake
Selenium
Issue Date: 2004
Source: Manav, M., Su, J., Hughes, K., Lee, H.P., Ong, C.N. (2004). ω-3 fatty acids and selenium as coronary heart disease risk modifying factors in Asian Indian and Chinese males. Nutrition 20 (11-12) : 967-973. ScholarBank@NUS Repository. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2004.08.003
Abstract: Asian Indian men are reported to have a higher incidence of coronary heart disease than men of other ethnic groups worldwide. Among the many hypotheses, one possible risk factor may be related to their dietary habits. This study estimated the plasma concentrations of fatty acids, antioxidant vitamins, and selenium in Indians and Chinese of Singapore. The study population consisted of 145 Indian men and 147 Chinese men ages 26 to 79 y from a cross-sectional survey, the National University of Singapore Heart Study. Our findings indicated that Indians had lower plasma concentrations of docosahexanoic acid (3.07% versus 3.54%, P < 0.001), α-linolenic acid (0.48% versus 0.57%, P < 0.001), and total ω-3 fatty acids (4.71% versus 5.27%, P < 0.001) than did the Chinese. Arachidonic acid was higher in Indians (4.83%) than in the Chinese (4.51%, P = 0.007). The ratio of ω-3 acid to ω-6 fatty acid was also lower in Indians (0.15) than in the Chinese (0.16, P = 0.007). There were no significant differences in the concentrations of monounsaturated fatty acids, but saturated fatty acids were higher in Indians (39.17%) than in the Chinese (38.28%, P < 0.001). Analysis of vitamins A, C, and E showed no significant differences between Indians (0.67, 5.72, and 13.04 mg/L, respectively) and Chinese (0.68, 6.48, and 12.71 mg/L, respectively); however, serum concentration of selenium in Indians (117.49 μg/L) was significantly lower than in the Chinese (126.72 μg/L, P < 0.001). The results suggest that lower plasma concentrations of ω-3 fatty acids and selenium and higher concentrations of arachidonic acid and saturated fatty acids in Indians may reflect lower intakes of marine foods and, as a consequence, higher susceptibility to coronary heart disease. © 2004 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Source Title: Nutrition
URI: http://scholarbank.nus.edu.sg/handle/10635/31887
ISSN: 08999007
DOI: 10.1016/j.nut.2004.08.003
Appears in Collections:Staff Publications

Show full item record
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.

SCOPUSTM   
Citations

19
checked on Dec 11, 2017

WEB OF SCIENCETM
Citations

5
checked on Dec 11, 2017

Page view(s)

227
checked on Dec 9, 2017

Google ScholarTM

Check

Altmetric


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.